MEMORY COULD NOT BE "READ"
Victor
2003-09-30 04:43:48 UTC
Hi people,

I've been getting this blue screen with the message:
0x00000010 memory could not be "read" (and
sometimes "written")

I get this mostly when playing Warcraft III but today I
got it working with general programs. I've tested my
dimms with MS Memory Diagnostic tool and everything seems
to be in order.

Any ideas?

Victor
Jimmy S.
2003-09-30 12:06:52 UTC
Hi Victor,

Try stepping through the troubleshooter, it might help. It's
also possible that there's too much disk thrashing happening
as a result of the page file. Rebuild that file, or run without it.

Perhaps the page file is at fault? It's good practice to refresh the
page file once in awhile by building a new one. Use these steps:

1. In Control Panel / System / Advanced / click the Performance
"Settings..." button which open the "Performance Options" box.

2. Click the "Advanced" tab and then the "Change..." button.

3. Scroll through the list, click on any line that has a value listed in
the "Paging File Size" column, click the "No paging file" choice,
and then click the "Set" button for the page file to be cleared.

4. After completing step 3 for each entry, click OK 3 times to exit.

5. Restart the computer, hold down F8 to startup in Safe Mode.

6. Delete each pagefile.sys you find on your drive's partitions.

7. Repeat steps 1+2, and click the "System managed size" choice.

8. Click the "Set" button, click OK 3 times, and restart the system.

9. For a visualization of the Virtual Memory Page file configuration try:
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june16.asp
For advanced options visit: http://www.aumha.org/a/xpvm.htm

Now the TROUBLESHOOTER I promised you:
Rather than go through one step per post with you, I find it's
best to present all the troubleshooting steps I use in one post.
Start with the first one, and post back if you have any questions! :-)

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

6. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
Use this Mainboard Monitoring Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

7. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to remove all
extra devices, network cards, extra RAM sticks, modem, scussi,
sound card, unplug CD drives (if not needed to verify CD), and then
try the game again. If the problem is solved look into a 400 watt P/S.

8. Test your RAM using: http://www.memtest86.com/memt30.zip
after you extract that zip file, click on the README.txt file for the
instructions on how to create the boot floppy to test your RAM.
* Allow Windows to control your pagefile at a "system managed size".
Be sure there's enough space for the pagefile size to = 1.5 * your RAM
Bonus Tip: Set the pagefile to it's own partition or hard drive if possible.

9. If your system restarts by itself as a result of a STOP error, use the
steps in this article to stop that behaviour and identify the cause:
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/windowsxp/bsod.htm

9b. Click Start / Control Panel /Administrative Tools / Event Viewer /
Click the Applications listing on the left / in the right pane look for
yellow or red symbols and doubleclick them to identify any problems.

XP: If you install this 32 bit Update: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=821558
you will get articles with fixes to load up automatically when you click the link
"For More Information" they give you in the body of the message in Event Viewer.

10. Click Start / Run / then type: sfc /scannow and press ENTER
to replace any damaged system files -or- Run Setup.exe on your
Windows 98/Me/XP/2000 CD to reinstall Windows over itself without
erasing your programs and data. Once everything works fine reinstall
updates one at a time from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com while
testing the game after each update, in case an update caused the problem.

11. If you have room on one of your partitions, use it to install another
clean installation of Windows which you can gradually update with the
appropriate chipset, video, and sound drivers, as well as Direct X, but
with no extras including themes, firewalls, antivirus, etc. You may have
to reinstall the game(s) for use with that partition, but it's well worth it.

12. If you don't have enough space for step 10 I suggest you at least
create a new administrators account with no themes, firewall, antivirus,
or any other software or startup programs installed for that account. If
this solves the problem, then you should switch over to the new account.

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

Yves Leclerc
2003-09-30 17:40:45 UTC
I find that the MS Memory Diagnostic tool is very limited and may not give
correct results.

BTW: How much RAM does your PC have, installed?

Y.
Hi people,